Friday, September 21, 2007

Donatin’

I, too (because Mikael wrote about this a while back), just made my first donation to a presidential candidate.

I had a bit of an epiphany of Sunday night. A big group of us were sitting around at Centro, wading through all the excitement of the weekend (the Drinking Liberally National Conference) and especially the day (the Harkin Steak Fry). We talked about which candidates speeches we liked, who we thought could sweep Washington free of the corruption that has taken hold, etc.

I like Barack Obama. He's exciting. But I worry that the enthusiasm that backs his campaign is like a passionate love affair - new and exciting, but bound to fizzle out. I don't like Hillary Clinton. To me, she's more of the same and too steeped in D.C. to affect real change. I like John Edwards a lot. I think he's really electable, and I'm pretty confident he could fix our domestic problems (health care, living wage, etc.). I'm not so sure how he'd fare on the international playing field.

Then it hit me. The one person I think could fix our domestic problems and help recover America's image on the world stage is Bill Richardson. He's got experience, yet he's enough of an "outsider" that he could affect some pretty big change in Washington (with the help of voters, of course). He's my man.

So today, I put some money on my racehorse. And now, I'm making my official announcement: I'm caucusing for Bill Richardson.

No comments: